Palakkad district has a rich historical heritage. It has its own special characteristics. The fort of Hyder Ali tells us the story of Mysore invasion and the advent of the British to this fact of the country. The Victoria College started in 1866, marks the beginning of higher education in Malabar. The Jain Temple near Chunnambuthara speaks of the magnanimity of the king of Palakkad who provided shelter of the people who escaped the religious persecutions of the king of Mysore five hundred years ago.
The ancient history of Palakkad is shrouded. According William Logan, the author of the ‘Malabar Manual’ the Pallava dynasty of Kanchi might have invaded Malabar in the second or third century. One of their head quarters was a place called ‘Palakada’ which would be the present day Palakkad. Malabar had been invaded by many of the South Indian Ruler. For many centuries it was ruled by Perumals. They had under them some powerful Utayavars who held the authority in their own respective territories. After the rule of the Perumals, the country was divided among these chieftains. The Valluvakonathiri (Ruler of Valluvandad), the ruler of Vengunad (Kollengode Rajas) and Sekhari Varma (Raja of Palakkad) were the prominent rules of this, region, after the Perumals.
READ MORE….DISTRICT PROFILE (1809)